What outcomes can you expect?
This workshop shows learners how to apply our reader-centered writing process to e-mail. It addresses the writer’s responsibility as a contributor to e-mail overload. Learners will leave the workshop with tools for managing the quality, quantity, and strategy of the e-mail messages they send. By applying our proven method to e-mail, learners will
- write 30% to 50% faster—increasing productivity
- create e-mail documents readers will reach for first—ahead of the competition’s
- cut reading time by 50% for busy readers—increasing their productivity
- guarantee that they get the action they want from their e-mail receivers.
The focus: creating e-mail that drives action
In this lively combination of discussions, group exercises, and individual activities, learners will see the benefits of focusing messages to meet their readers’ needs. They will learn to
write attention-getting e-mail
- analyze and plan for the audience in every e-mail
- write attention-getting subject lines for rapid e-mail scanning
- design for visual impact
influence the reader
- choose the right words, content, and tone
- organize and transition ideas effectively
- use a positive approach
review e-mail etiquette
- write clearly and concisely
- avoid gobbledygook
- consider whether e-mail is appropriate for the message
write for results
- write straightforward action steps and requests
- position conclusions and recommendations strategically
- edit for e-mail transition using checklists.
Who should attend?
All business professionals who communicate via e-mail will find the workshop valuable, no matter what their level of business experience.
Blended learning and tools support ongoing development
- The Instant-Answer Guide to Business Writing by Deborah Dumaine, founder of Better Communications®
- Better Communications’ workbook
- The E-Mail Editing Checklist
- Reinforcement by E-Mail - 24 content-rich messages reviewing key tools and concepts (optional)