Reader-Centered Business Writing™
Quality writing drives action and productivity
The Six Steps to Reader-Centered Writing® help set standards for quality writing. This ensures clear, direct, and effective written communication.
- Increase quality: our innovative assessment tools show that learners double the quality of their documents.
- Increase speed: writers show a 30% to 50% gain in writing productivity—and readers estimate reading documents in half the time.
Learning by doing
Learners use The Six Steps to Reader-Centered Writing to plan, draft, and edit an on-the-job document. During the group workshop, attendees learn to
analyze their audiences
- influence their readers
- strengthen relationships
write for results
- position conclusions and action steps strategically
- build understanding and drive decisions
design for visual impact
- create documents their readers will read first
edit accurately using checklists
- choose the right words and tone
- build credibility and enhance professional image.
All who communicate in writing
We tailor the program to your learners’ specific writing needs, whether for e-mail messages or complex reports and proposals. This program is available as part of a graduated curriculum, a progressive series of workshops.
Blended learning and tools support ongoing development
Our standard program includes
- Individual coaching and Personal Learning Plan
- The Document Analysis and Rating Tool (DART)™ to guide editing and measure quality
- Better Communications®’ workbook
- Books: Write to the Top®: Writing for Corporate Success (Random House) and the Instant-Answer Guide to Business Writing, by Deborah Dumaine, founder of Better Communications
- Job aids: The Six Steps to Reader-Centered Writing and the Focus Sheet™
- Reinforcement by E-mail™—24 content-rich messages reviewing key tools and concepts (optional)
- Document LifeLine™—just-in-time coaching by e-mail (optional).
Day One: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. (Eastern time) group workshop
Day Two: 25-minute individual coaching session
The first day of the workshop runs from 9 a.m. until 5 p.m., with a continental breakfast at 8:30 a.m. During the workshop you will schedule a 25-minute individual coaching session with the group-day facilitator for the following day. (The coaching sessions may be done remotely to fit your needs.)
Pre-work assignment: A pre-work assignment will be e-mailed to you one week before the workshop.
This workshop is open to individual learners.
$795 per person
This fee includes all workshop materials and refreshments.
Online on WebEx
Dates are subject to change and may be cancelled at any time.Register for in-person seminar Register for online seminar