Reader-Centered Technical Writing™
What outcomes can you expect?
Technical documents must be direct and meet reader needs. You will learn a six-step process that will help your messages
- speed decisions and action
- strengthen your online presence—blogs, online chat, and discussion forums
- solidify plans without time-consuming requests for clarification.
write for mixed audiences
- choose content and the right amount of detail
- analyze and explain complex data, providing appropriate context
- use terms, abbreviations, and acronyms effectively
influence your readers
- adopt the “you” attitude and the right tone
- organize and transition ideas effectively
- include convincing problem analyses and advice—not just facts
streamline your message
- communicate findings and “so whats” concisely
- clarify technical jargon
- use powerful charts, graphs, and other visual aids when appropriate
write for results
- edit for impact using checklists and quality tools
- write straightforward action steps and requests
- position conclusions and advice strategically.
The focus: clear, concise technical documents with a message
Learners use The Six Steps to Reader-Centered Writing® to plan, draft, and edit an on-the-job document.
Learners plan their message by
- analyzing their audience
- creating headlines
- sequencing information strategically.
After quickly writing the first draft, learners edit for clarity, conciseness, accuracy, visual design, and tone.
Blended learning and tools support ongoing development
Our standard program includes
- Individual coaching and Personal Learning Plan
- The Document Analysis and Rating Tool (DART)™ to guide editing and measure quality
- Better Communications®’ workbook
- Books: Write to the Top®: Writing for Corporate Success (Random House) and the Instant-Answer Guide to Business Writing, by Deborah Dumaine, founder of Better Communications
- Job aids: The Six Steps to Reader-Centered Writing and the Focus Sheet™
- Reinforcement by E-mail™—24 content-rich messages reviewing key tools and concepts (optional)
- Document LifeLine™—just-in-time coaching by e-mail (optional).
- write for mixed audiences
- influence your readers
- streamline your message
- write for results